Creme brulee, sugar recipe, brought to you by Woman's Day
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- 7 large egg-yolks
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Arrange six 1 1/2-cup ramekins in large baking dish lined with a cloth.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream and vanilla. Place over medium heat and bring to almost boiling point.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk yolks and sugar together until thick and pale. Gradually pour in hot cream mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return mixture to clean saucepan. Cook on low heat 10-12 minutes, stirring constantly until thick enough to just coat the back of a wooden spoon (be careful not to overheat or mixture will curdle).
- Divide custard between ramekins. Pour boiling water into baking dish to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake 20-25 minutes until almost set and slightly wobbly in centre. Remove ramekins.
- Cool completely in fridge. Just before serving, sprinkle custards with an even layer of raw sugar. Using a kitchen blowtorch, drag the flame back and forth over the sugar until caramelised.