Condensed Milk Ice Cream
It's cold outside, but that's no reason to freeze out this dessert.
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup cream
- Blend the condensed milk, water and vanilla essence and pour into a shallow tray. Chill for five minutes in the freezer (I used a Tupperware slice holder which is 30cm long and 5cm deep, and has the advantage of having a lid to put on later).
- Whip the cream until thick, but not stiff. Pour the chilled milk mixture into a bowl and fold the whipped cream into it.
- Return the mixture to your tray and freeze until the outsides start to ice up. Put it back into the bowl and beat until mushy, but not completely melted.
- The original recipe then tells you to freeze until firm, but I found that the mixture separated if you do this. Instead, over the hour or so it takes to freeze properly, pull it out, put in the bowl and beat a few times to keep it airy and light before it freezes properly. I used a balloon whisk in order to keep it light and airy.
- Suggestions for flavourings, care of the Anchor book: Add ½ cup dessicated coconut. Add a tin of raspberries (strained) and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Add 1/5 tbsp custard powder. Add 4 tbsp passionfruit pulp. Add 227g tin crushed pineapple. Add 1 tbsp cocoa.