An easy coffee cake to make for afternoon tea. Spread with butter and serve warm.
- 185 g butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup strong black coffee, cooled
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 10 g butter
- 2 tbsp hot strong black coffee
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 10 x 20cm loaf pan.
- Combine butter and sugar in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until melted. Add coffee and set aside to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in eggs. Fold in flour with sour cream until combined. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make icing: Combine icing sugar and butter in a small heatproof bowl. Stir in enough coffee to make of a spreadable consistency. Use a hot spatula to spread icing over cooled cake. Serve cake dusted with cocoa powder.