Coconut ice-cream, dairy recipe, brought to you by Woman's Day
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 6 egg-yolks
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- coconut flakes, fresh mango, to serve
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream and coconut. Bring almost to boiling point on medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside to infuse 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk egg- yolks with sugar, until very thick and pale.
- Gradually pour milk into yolk mixture, whisking constantly to combine.
- Return mixture to clean saucepan. Cook on medium heat 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Do not boil.
- Cool to room temperature. Pour into the bowl of an ice-cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions (about 40 minutes).
- Pour into a chilled 5-cup freezer container. Freeze 2 hours until completely firm.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes. Serve with mango.