Classic lemon curd
Whether spread on your morning toast or used as a filling or topping for desserts, this light and luscious lemon curd recipe will brighten up your day!
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (approx 6 lemons)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 80 g butter, diced
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (zest the lemons first then use them for the juice)
- Combine the lemon juice, sugar and egg yolks in a medium glass or stainless steel bowl and whisk until combined. Add the butter and zest then set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (to make a double boiler).
- Heat the mixture for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until starting to thicken, then stir constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Cover with a lid to prevent a skin forming and remove from the heat to cool and thicken.
- Pour into sterile jars or a covered glass container and store in the fridge for up to one week.