Citrus pork belly with asparagus
This crispy pork belly is a great idea for a unique Christmas dish, deliciously paired with roasted asparagus, onions and garlic. Sprinkle with homemade citrus salt for a delightful tang!
- 1.5 kg boneless pork belly, rind on, scored
- 1 tbsp fine sea salt
- 3 red onions, skin on, halved
- 1 garlic bulb, halved
- 2 asparagus bunches, trimmed, blanched
- 1 orange, rind finely grated
- 1 lemon, rind shredded
- 1 tbsp salt flakes
- The day before, place pork belly, uncovered, on a rack in a roasting tray and refrigerate overnight (this will help the skin dry out for crackling).
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Using a sharp knife, score pork skin at 1cm intervals. Rub salt into the skin and incisions, then place skin-side down on a rack in an oven tray.
- Roast for 1 ½ hours, then remove pork from oven. Increase temperature to 220°C. Turn pork skin-side up. Add onions to baking dish with garlic. Roast for a further 25-30 minutes or until skin is golden and crispy, and the meat is tender.
- To make the citrus salt, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve pork sliced, sprinkled with citrus salt and accompanied with baked onions, garlic and asparagus.