Citrus cake, lemon recipe, brought to you by Woman's Day
- 125 g softened butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup lemon, lime or orange juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest, to decorate
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease and line a deep 20cm round cake pan.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Lightly fold flour into creamed mixture, alternately with combined juice and milk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake 40-45 minutes until cooked.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make lemon icing; sift icing sugar into a large bowl. Gradually add juice, stirring until a smooth drizzle consistency.
- Spread icing over cooled cake, allowing to drip down sides. Sprinkle zest over top.