- 250 g butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp hot water
- food colouring and silver cachous (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream butter until pale. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Sift flour onto a flat surface and form a well in centre. Place butter mixture into well and knead ingredients to form a dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Halve mixture. Roll or press each piece, until 7mm thick. Cut into Christmas shapes. Arrange on prepared baking trays. Use a skewer to make a small hole near top of each biscuit.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden. Stand for 5 minutes, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make icing by beating icing sugar and water in a bowl until smooth. Tint with food colouring, if desired. Drizzle or pipe icing onto biscuits to decorate. Add silver cachous. Thread ribbon through hole.