Christmas mince slab
Here’s Nici Wickes' fast and fabulous alternative to making individual Christmas mince pies. This Christmas mince slab recipe is perfect for the whole family to enjoy this festive season
- 2 sheets sweet short pastry
- 1/4 cup orange and lemon peel (or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sultanas and raisins
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit – Nici used a mix of chopped pears, peaches, currants
- 1 tsp each cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brandy
- milk, for glazing
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 25cm x 27cm tray. Roll out the pastry thinner to fit the tray, reserving enough pastry to make star shapes. Put in the fridge to chill.
- For the fruit mince, process the citrus peel and sugar in a food processor until finely chopped. Add half of all the dried fruit and process until chopped finely. Add the rest of the ingredients and process without turning it to mush.
- Spoon and spread the fruit mince over the chilled pastry. Roll out the reserved pastry and use a cutter to make stars. Cover the fruit mince with stars. Brush the pastry and stars with milk.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool, then dust with icing sugar and slice. Store in an airtight container.