Christmas Day jam
This strawberry and cherry jam recipe is perfect for Christmas Day, as the hints of cinnamon and vanilla give it a beautiful festive flavour. Have it with scones in the morning for breakfast!
- 500 g strawberries, roughly diced
- 500 g fresh or frozen cherries, pitted and diced
- 1 kg jam-setting sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, spilt down the centre
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp rose water
- 10 g butter
- In a large saucepan, combine fruit and sugar and stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Add vanilla pod, cinnamon sticks and rose water and bring to a boil. Boil without stirring for 4 minutes (scoop off any fluffy foam).
- Add butter and stir in well, then ‘test for a set’ by spooning about ½ tsp of the jam onto a small plate. Drag the tip of a teaspoon through the middle – if it leaves a clear line, the jam is set. If the line closes over, boil for 1 more minute then test again.
- Remove cinnamon and pod. Pour hot jam into hot, sterilised jars and seal to keep long-term. Or cool and store airtight in the fridge; it will keep for up to 2 weeks.