Christmas cake, fruits and berries recipe, brought to you by Woman's Day
- 2 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1/3 cup brandy or sherry
- 100 g packet glace cherries
- 200 g butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 orange, finely grated zest
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- slivered almonds, to decorate
- In a non-metallic bowl, combine mixed fruit, craisins and brandy. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap; set aside 3 hours, or overnight. Stir through cherries.
- Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with two layers of baking paper, allowing paper to come 2.5cm above the rim of the pan.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar, until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in fruit and zest.
- Sift flour and spices into a bowl. Add half of flour to creamed mixture, then add half of orange juice and walnuts. Fold in remaining flour, juice and nuts.
- Pour carefully into prepared pan, packing into corners; smooth top. Decorate with almonds.
- Bake 2 1/2 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and dry. If undercooked, bake further 15 minutes
- Remove from oven. Cover with tea towels. Allow to cool completely. Remove from pan; wrap cake in plastic wrap, then foil.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.