This silky chocolate tart is a firm favourite and is criminally easy to make!
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry – or make your own
- 150 ml milk
- 50 ml cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (heaped tsp) cornflour
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 g butter
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a loose-bottomed tart tin (approx 32cm x 12cm) with the shortcrust pastry, leaving an overhang of pastry on all sides. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to rest.
- Bake the pastry for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool, then trim the overhang with a sharp knife.
- Make the filling by heating the milk and cream in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until light and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and cornflour, stirring to combine.
- Once the milk and cream mixture is nearly boiling, slowly add it to the bowl, whisking until combined well.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan, then add the chocolate and butter. Whisk on a low heat until a smooth sauce forms, then continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 3-4 minutes before pouring into the pastry case.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until the chocolate filling is set.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.