Chocolate rocky road Christmas wreath cake
Looking for a deliciously different way to celebrate Christmas? This indulgent chocolate rocky road Christmas wreath cake recipe is just the ticket! Serve post-feast or enjoy in the festive lead-up
Christmas wreath cake
- 250 g butter, chopped
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 150 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cream
Rocky road topping
- 100 g pink and white marshmallows, halved
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 50 g toasted natural almonds
- 100 g milk chocolate, melted
- freeze-dried raspberries to finish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm ring cake tin and line the base with a circle of baking paper, cut to fit.
- Combine butter, chocolate, sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until the chocolate melts and sugar dissolves. Transfer mixture to a large bowl to cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and cocoa. Add the eggs and stir until combined. Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out moist but clean. Cool cake in the tin for 30 minutes before turning out to cool completely.
- Combine chocolate and cream in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water or microwave in short bursts until melted. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool and thicken.
- Spread ganache over the cake. Arrange marshmallows, cranberries and almonds on top. Drizzle milk chocolate over the topping. Sprinkle with raspberries.