Chocolate mud cake with dark chocolate ganache
When you're in the mood for a decadent dessert, you can't look past this chocolate mud cake recipe. Dense, moist and covered in dark chocolate ganache, this cake is a chocolate lover's dream
- 250 g butter, cubed
- 200 g dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cups hot water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200 ml cream
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC. Line the base of a 22cm round baking pan with baking paper. Spray the sides with oil and dust lightly with flour.
- Place the butter, chocolate, sugar and water in a saucepan and stir over a low heat for 3-4 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and all the ingredients are combined. Stir in the vanilla essence and set aside for 20 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, sift the flours and cocoa into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Pour in the cooled liquid and, using a large whisk, mix all the ingredients until they are well combined and the mixture is smooth. Mix in the lightly beaten eggs.
- Pour the mud cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 1¼ hours, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean (or fudgy). Cover the cake with a clean tea towel and leave it in the pan to cool.
- To make the ganache, place the chopped chocolate into a bowl. Heat the cream until just before it comes to a boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and stir gently until combined. Leave at room temperature until the ganache has reached a spreadable consistency. Smooth generously over the top and sides of the cake.