Chocolate flourless torte
This chocolate flourless torte only takes 15 minutes to get ready for the oven, but once it is decorated with fresh berries and cream it will make you look like a baking superstar!
- 250 g good-quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 200 g butter, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 300 ml thickened cream, whipped
- blueberries, blackberries, icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a 23cm springform pan. Dust with plain flour, shaking out excess.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine chocolate, butter and cinnamon. Place over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure bottom of bowl does not touch water. Stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks and half the sugar together in a large bowl until thick and pale. Fold in chocolate mixture.
- In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating between each addition until sugar dissolves and mixture is thick and glossy. Gently fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer. Loosen cake from pan using a spatula. Cool for 5-10 minutes. Cake will shrink from sides. Remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Pile cooled cake with whipped cream and berries, then dust with icing sugar to serve.