Chicken yakitori, rice recipe, brought to you by Woman's Day
- 4 green onions, trimmed, ends retained
- 500 g chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, cubed
- 6 button mushrooms, halved
- 1 baby eggplant, sliced
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked
- 1/2 cup japanese soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chilli sauce
- steamed rice, to serve
- Using a sharp knife, cut green ends from onions and split into flat strips. Wrap one around each piece of chicken. Thread onto skewers, alternately with vegetables. Slice remaining onions on the diagonal.
- Preheat a char-grill on high. Spray skewers with cooking oil.
- To make the sauce; combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until reduced by half.
- Char-grill skewers for 8-10 minutes, basting with half the sauce, turning twice during cooking, until cooked through.
- Heat remaining sauce in a saucepan. until boiling. Serve skewers drizzled with sauce and sprinkled with remaining green onion. Accompany with rice.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.