Chicken with red wine and bacon
While chicken and bacon are traditionally a pie combination, combining them in a casserole is also a great way to enjoy these classic flavours.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 kg chicken pieces
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 3 bacon rashers, cut into pieces
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a large casserole dish or frying pan and brown chicken in until golden on both sides.
- Set chicken aside, adding shallots and bacon to the dish, the cook for 1 minute before adding wine, stock, bay leaf, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Place all ingredients in a casserole dish and cover and cook for 1 hour.