Chicken puff pies
This puff pie recipe creates perfect little parcels of flavour. Fill with leftover cooked chicken and creamy mustard sauce or pack with leftover casserole, curry or pasta sauce
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 150 g chopped bacon
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 3 sheets frozen flaky puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Dissolve the stock in the hot water and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, add the leek, bacon and thyme and cook gently until tender. Add the wholegrain mustard and stir in the flour.
- Gradually stir in the stock with a wooden spoon, and then the milk, mixing continually, to form a lump-free sauce. Add the shredded chicken and peas and set aside to cool.
- Divide each pastry sheet into 4 squares. Brush the edges lightly with water. Take a pastry square and draw opposite corners together and pinch. Bring another corner to the middle; pinch along the seams to join – creating an open pocket. Place a dessertspoonful of filling into the pocket then bring the last corner into the middle and pinch to seal.
- Place on a greased baking tray and brush all over with beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes or until dark golden and crisp.