Chicken and barley soup
Use up leftover chicken to make this healthy and comforting soup.
- 1 chicken frame with meat
- 2.5 L water
- 2 chicken stock pods
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1 leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 stalks celery, finely sliced
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Place the chicken frame in a large saucepan and add the water. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the frame and set aside until cool. Remove the chicken meat.
- Add the stock pods, barley and half of the leek, carrot and celery. Simmer all together for 20 minutes.
- Return the chicken meat to the pot with the remaining vegetables and simmer a further 10 minutes until the barley is tender. Season to taste and add the parsley just before serving.