Cherry pie, cherry recipe, brought to you by Australian Table
- 3 cups (500g) plain flour
- 250 g butter, chilled, cubed
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp chilled water
- 1 kg pitted cherries
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp kirsch
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Combine cherries, cornflour, kirsch and sugar in a bowl. Cover and rest 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Combine flour, butter and sugar in a large bowl. Using a food processor, process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add yolk and chilled water. Process until dough just comes together.
- Turn pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Knead well, until smooth. Shape into two discs; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Roll out half of pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 33cm round. Press firmly into a 23cm pie dish, without stretching pastry. Trim excess; lightly prick base with a fork. Chill 15 minutes.
- Line pastry with greaseproof paper and half-fill with pastry weights or dried beans. Bake blind 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove paper and weights and cool pastry in dish. Stir cherry mixture. Pour into pastry case.
- Roll remaining pastry into a 25cm round. Place over cherries. Press edges together, trim excess and flute with fingers. Brush with water and sprinkle with sugar. Cut a slit in centre. Bake 35-40 minutes, until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.