Cherry and coconut tart
Fresh cherries burst with deliciousness in this tart. Covered with beautifully crispy shredded coconut, the flavours melt perfectly together to create a tasty festive dessert.
- 400 g sweet, short pastry
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 2 tbsp jam – any flavour you like (we used plum)
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 cups (approx) fresh cherries, de-stoned and halved
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- ice cream and/or whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a tray with baking paper.
- Roll the pastry out to 5mm-thick on a lightly floured bench. Trim the pastry into a neat square or rectangle and transfer to the prepared oven tray. Brush the edges with lightly beaten egg yolk, then neatly fold over a 2cm border and sprinkle with raw sugar. Prick the base all over and bake until golden – about 12 minutes.
- Stir the jam and mixed spice together, then spread over the cooked pastry base, within its border. Arrange the cherry halves on top.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg white, coconut and caster sugar together. Spoon this mixture over the cherries. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the coconut is golden (watch this as it browns very quickly) and the cherries are cooked.
- Serve warm or cool with ice cream, whipped cream or both!