Cherry and amaretti white Christmas log
Serve up a deliciously light dessert this Christmas with our cherry and amaretti white Christmas log, which is filled with the divine festive flavours of amaretti biscuits and fresh cherries.
- 150 g gingernut biscuits
- 40 g butter, melted
- 200 g fresh cherries
- 1/4 cup cherry liqueur or amaretto
- 150 g amaretti biscuits, two-thirds crushed
- 395 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 500 g crème fraîche
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/3 cup crystallised ginger, chopped (see tip)
- Grease an 8cm x 33cm straight-sided loaf cake pan or terrine mould. Line base and sides with cling film, or 2 layers of baking paper or foil.
- Process gingernut biscuits to fine crumbs, using the pulse button. Add butter and process until combined. Press crumb mixture over base of pan. Freeze while preparing ice cream.
- Freeze half the cherries for decoration. Remove pips from remaining cherries. Chop coarsely and place in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the liqueur and crushed amaretti biscuits. Stand.
- Whisk condensed milk, crème fraîche, vanilla and remaining liqueur in a bowl with an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until thick. Gently fold cream mixture into cherry mixture. Fold in half the ginger. Pour over biscuit base and flatten surface. Cover tightly with cling film and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight until firm.
- Remove ice-cream log from pan. Place on a cold platter. Serve topped with frozen cherries, remaining ginger and amaretti biscuits.