These hearty and healthy soups combine practicality with great taste.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 3 cups light vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 6 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp yoghurt and chopped chives or parsley, to garnish
- Boil the potato in vegetable stock until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, save the stock and set the potato aside. Melt the butter in a soup pot on medium heat.
- Add the leek, half the carrots, ginger, thyme and nutmeg. Season. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the celery, the remaining carrots, the cooked potato and the saved vegetable stock. Add 1 cup of water and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a blender or a bowl, blend or mash 2 cups of the soup with the milk until thick and smooth. Return the blended soup to the soup pot, and stir. Alternatively, use hand-held blender to mix the soup in the pot. Add milk.
- Ladle into bowls and add a swirl of yoghurt and a sprinkle of chives or parsley to garnish.