Salads with pep, punch and panache by Julie Biuso
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for pine nuts and for finishing
- flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- 2 heads small broccoli
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup grated parmesan, plus slivers for the top
- few handfuls radicchio leaves, to serve
- Fry pine nuts in a splash of oil in a small frying pan. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Trim broccoli heads. Plunge one head, floret-side down, into a large pan of well-salted water and cook for 1 minute, then turn broccoli over and cook stalk end for 1 minute. Remove broccoli and immediately refresh with plenty of cold water, until it feels cool. Repeat with other broccoli head.
- Drain broccoli, shake off excess water, then pat dry with paper towels. Either slice very finely with a sharp knife or slice on a mandoline. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk 4 tablespoons oil, balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and the garlic together in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the parmesan. Tip dressing into bowl of broccoli, using a rubber scraper to get it all. Toss well until evenly coated.
- Put several leaves of radicchio on each plate and top each with a mound of broccoli salad (if liked, first press broccoli into a small cup, then invert onto leaves to help keep the shape). Dot with a little oil. Top broccoli mounds with slivers of parmesan and scatter with pine nuts.