This fun recipe is basically a cross between an Italian cookie and a bliss ball. These bliss kisses are a wonderful homemade gluten-free Christmas gift that can be made two or three days in advance
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup fresh beetroot juice (see recipe tip)
- 30 g shelled pistachios
- 35 g raw cashews
- 35 g dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 125 g dried figs, chopped
- 2 tbsp honey
- 50 g butter, olive oil or nut oil
- 1 tbsp Heilala vanilla powder (or vanilla extract or paste)
- 45 g ground almonds
- 24 raw, shelled pistachios, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line a baking tray.
- Mix coconut with beetroot juice until coconut has soaked up juice. Spread coconut onto tray and cook in oven for 8-10 minutes until dry.
- Leave coconut to cool then tip into a shallow dish. Set aside lined tray to bake bliss kisses.
- Finely chop the nuts in a food processor. Add fruit and pulse until the mix starts to stick together. Tip into a bowl.
- Melt honey, butter and vanilla powder together over low heat then add to fruit mixture along with ground almonds. Mix until the ingredients bind together.
- Take a large teaspoonful of mixture and shape into a ball. Drop into the red coconut and coat well. Place the ball in the centre of your palm, pressing the coconut into the ball.
- Press the ball solidly onto the lined oven tray and push two pistachio kernels into the top. Repeat this process until all the mixture is used up.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden. Leave to cool and then transfer carefully to an airtight container.