Big Mike’s beef and veggie burgers
It is big! Getting lots of vegetables into the patty not only makes it a lot healthier, but bulks it up while also keeping it light.
- 500 g premium lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1/2 beetroot, grated
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (cumin, coriander, chilli)
- 3 egg whites
Mike's awesome sauce
- 2 soft-boiled eggs
- 4 shallots, sliced and sauteed
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 60 ml olive oil
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 4 wholemeal buns
- 2 heads baby cos lettuce, finely sliced
- 4 gherkins, each sliced into 4
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix all pattie ingredients together in a bowl. Form into 8 patties.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan until hot and brown the patties on both sides. Place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 4 to 5 minutes.
- For the sauce, boil eggs for 5 minutes exactly, then run under cold water until cold. Peel carefully.
- Place eggs, shallots, honey, tomato puree and stock in a food processor. Process to combine. With the motor running, gradually add oil while processing to form an emulsion.
- Remove from food processor and add gherkins. Set aside.
- Slice buns into 3. Add Mike’s Awesome Sauce, patty, lettuce and gherkin on each bun base. Repeat with a second patty on each bun middle. Finish with bun tops.