Beetroot, haloumi, chickpea and rice winter salad
Take your taste buds on a global adventure with this delicious beetroot, haloumi, chickpea and rice winter salad that is filled with incredible mediterranean flavours.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 500 g packaged pre-cooked beetroot, quartered
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roasted, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 200 g haloumi, sliced
- Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add chickpeas and beetroot, stirring until heated through.
- Combine rice, spinach, mint and walnuts in a large bowl. Drizzle with combined 1 tablespoon balsamic and 2 tablespoons oil. Add beetroot and chickpea mixture. Toss and season.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook haloumi for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Serve salad with haloumi, drizzled with the remaining balsamic glaze.