Beetroot and apple relish
Once you try this beetroot and apple relish, you’ll never have apple sauce with your roast pork again! And it makes an attractive gift as it’s got such a gorgeous glossy purple colour
- 1 kg peeled and grated beetroot
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour until the mixture is thick and the beetroot is tender.
- Cool a little, then fill sterilised jars and cover them with lids. When cool enough to handle, screw the lids on tightly and wipe the jars clean.
- Serve with roast pork or cold meats – it’s also lovely with crackers and cheese.