Beef mince, spinach and ricotta lasagne
It doesn't get much better than lasagne when you're craving comfort food. This recipe combines rich bolognese sauce with spinach and ricotta to create a hearty, cheesy dish the whole family will love
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500 g minced beef
- 125 g mushrooms, chopped
- 700 ml bottle tomato passata
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 500 g smooth ricotta
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 375 g packet fresh lasagne sheets
- 150 g bag baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- fresh oregano leaves, rocket and radicchio salad to serve
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease a 4-litre rectangular casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on high. Sauté bacon, onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until onion is tender. Add mince. Brown for 6-8 minutes, breaking up lumps. Mix in mushrooms. Cook for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in passata and oregano. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes until thickened. Season to taste.
- Whisk ricotta, cream and 1 cup cheese together. Arrange lasagne sheets over base of dish. Spread one-third meat sauce over. Top with one-third ricotta cream, then half the spinach. Repeat layers, finishing with lasagne layer. Spread remaining ricotta cream over.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, parmesan and nutmeg. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden. Sprinkle oregano over and accompany with salad.