Bean and tomato salad with pickled shallots and balsamic drizzle
This colourful bean and tomato salad recipe is taken to tasty new heights with the addition of pickled shallots and a delicious balsamic drizzle. Serve as a healthy side dish to your next meal
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 250 g green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized lengths
- 390 g can cannellini beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1 punnet coloured cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100 g baby kale leaves
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- To make the pickled shallots, combine the shallots with the lemon juice and salt in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes until soft.
- To make the balsamic drizzle, in a small pot simmer the vinegar, water and honey together with the rosemary sprig until reduced by half and syrupy.
- Meanwhile, blanch the green beans in boiling water for 2-3 minutes until tender, then drain and refresh.
- Arrange the green beans, cannellini beans, tomatoes and kale on a serving platter. Top with the pickled shallots, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds then pour over the balsamic drizzle.
Recipe by : Jo Wilcox
Photography by : Jae Frew