Barbecue lamb skewers with pistachio pesto and grilled fruit salad
This recipe is a summer barbecue sensation! Marinated lamb is topped with nutty pesto and served on a bed of grilled peaches and watermelon, with peppery rocket, creamy feta and sharp balsamic. Photography by Jani Shepherd/Gatherum Collectif
Barbecue lamb skewers
- 800 g lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 6-8 large pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- finely grated zest 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or more if required)
- 6 x 1.5cm-thick wedges watermelon
- 4 small ripe peaches, halved and stones removed
- 2 large handfuls rocket leaves
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp shelled pistachios, to garnish
- 1/3 cup micro greens
- 100 g feta, crumbled
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or to taste)
- 2-3 tbsp good-quality aged balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
- Place lamb pieces in a large resealable plastic bag with the garlic, zest, chilli flakes, mint and balsamic and season with salt and pepper. Shake to coat lamb well and marinate in fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- For the pesto, pulse pistachios, zest and peeled garlic in a food processor until ground into large crumbs. Add lemon juice, coriander, basil, mint and parmesan and continue to pulse while trickling in olive oil until mixture reaches desired consistency. Season the pesto to taste with salt, place in a jar and store in the fridge. Bring pesto back to room temperature before serving.
- Heat a barbecue grill or griddle pan over medium-high heat. Grill watermelon wedges, turning once, until gently charred (around 2-3 minutes on each side) and set aside. Grill peach halves, cut-side down, for 4-5 minutes and set aside.
- Turn barbecue grill or griddle pan to high heat. Spike the marinated lamb pieces onto two large metal kebab skewers and grill for around 4-6 minutes on each side.
- Cook until pink in the centre and evenly charred on the outside. Remove from grill and set aside to rest while you prepare the salad.
- Arrange rocket, mint, basil, peaches and watermelon on a large serving platter. Sprinkle with pistachios, micro greens and feta. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the rested lamb on the platter and spoon over a generous dollop of the pistachio pesto.