Banana cake with walnut toffee topping
Nici Wickes' soft and springy banana cake is turned it up a notch with a crunchy, gooey caramel topping. Delish!
- 125 g butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- whipped cream, to serve
Walnut toffee topping
- 1 firm banana, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 50 g butter, melted and mixed with 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan bake. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until creamy, then add the eggs and beat well. Add the bananas.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the milk and add this to the creamed mixture. Mix.
- Sift the flour and baking powder. Fold into the mixture.
- Scrape into the prepared tin. Scatter on the extra chopped banana and walnuts, then spoon over the butter and brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean after inserting. Let cool before you remove from the tin.
- Serve the cake in slices with whipped cream.