Baklava, nut recipe, brought to you by Woman's Day
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 16 sheets filo pastry
- 185 g butter, melted
- whole cloves, to decorate
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- 3 cloves
- Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Lightly grease an 18 x 28cm lamington pan.
- In a large bowl, combine walnuts, almonds, sugar and spices. Set aside.
- Layer 4 sheets filo on a board, brushing each with butter, and fold in half. Arrange in pan, trimming edges to fit. Spread over 1/3 of filling. Repeat layers, finishing with a pastry layer.
- Brush with butter. Score lengthways into 4 even portions. Then score on an angle to create a diamond pattern. Bake for 30 minutes, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup, combine sugar, water, juice, rosewater and cloves in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat, without boiling, for 3-4 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, without stirring, for 10 minutes, until thickened. Remove cloves.
- When baklava is cooked, pour hot syrup over hot slice. Allow to Cool. Cut into diamonds to serve. Place a clove in the centre of each piece. if liked, as a garnish.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.