Baked stuffed red onions
Filled with exceptional flavour, these delicious baked stuffed red onions are great served with roast meats or served with sliced ham
- 8 small red onions, skin removed
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 pine nuts
- 1/4 dark cane sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 small sprigs of rosemary
- 25 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line an ovenproof dish just big enough to hold the onions in one layer with baking paper.
- Cut a small slice from the root end of each onion to make them flat enough to sit level. Using a knife remove and discard as much of the onion flesh as practical, leaving the outside of the onion intact.
- In a bowl combine the cranberries, garlic, pine nuts and sugar. Season to taste. Divide the mixture between the onions and place in the prepared baking dish. Drizzle over the balsamic vinegar, top each onion with a sprig of rosemary and a knob of butter. Cover loosely with tinfoil and bake for 60 minutes or until cooked – the cooking time can vary depending on the size of the onions used.