Autumn pear and walnut bread
If you’re a fan of banana bread, you’re going to love Nici Wickes' delicious version made with pears! Studded with walnuts and easily altered to be gluten or dairy-free, this recipe is a winner
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 125 g butter, melted (or use oil, see recipe tip)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 - 3 firm pears (Nici used Beurre Bosc), grated to yield 1 cup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease and line a 12cm loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the walnuts and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the butter, eggs and sugar together. Stir in the pears and vanilla, mixing well.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Scrape into the loaf tin. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the bread is browned and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack, top side up.
- Serve sliced as is or with butter, if not avoiding dairy.