Quiche is not only a great way to use up any leftovers in the fridge, it can also be prepared ahead and simply reheated at dinner time.
- 2 sheets (350g) savoury shortcrust pastry
- 8 asparagus spears
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 24cm flan pan and line with pastry, prick several times with a fork. Cover with baking paper and weights (you can use dried rice or beans) and then bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove weights and paper and continue to cook for a few minutes more until pastry is golden. Reduce heat to 180°C.
- Cook asparagus in boiling, salted water for 4 to 5 minutes until just tender. Remove from heat, lift out spears and allow to cool enough to handle then chop into thirds.
- Whisk together the cream, milk and eggs, then mix in the cheese.
- Place asparagus in the pastry shell then pour over the filling. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until filling is just set.