Light, fluffy, and filled with juicy warm apple pieces, this delicious apple sponge cake is wonderful served warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
- 60 g low-fat spread
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- ice-cream or cream, to serve
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 whole clove
- 1 slice lemon peel
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Make stewed fruit: Place 1cm water in a saucepan with sugar, clove and lemon peel. Bring to boil, stirring. Add fruit. Cook gently, covered, for about 10 minutes until tender.S
- Spoon stewed fruit into the base of a 20cm pie plate or casserole dish.
- In a bowl, beat spread and sugar together until creamy. Add egg, beating well. Lightly fold in flour, alternately with milk. Spread evenly over fruit.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until top is firm and golden. Serve warm with ice-cream or cream.