Apple and vanilla cake
Nici Wickes' apple and vanilla cake recipe is wonderfully moist, despite the fact it has no butter or other fats. Serve warm as a dessert or with brandy butter and cream if you're not dairy-free
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3-4 medium-sized apples, any variety or a mix
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- icing sugar, for dusting
- cinnamon, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease the sides and base of a 22cm springform tin. Line the base with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and foamy.
- Chop the apples into bite-sized chunks and place them in the tin. Skin on is fine. Fill the tin almost to the top.
- Add the vanilla to the beaten mix, beating briefly.
- Fold in the flour until just combined. Scrape the batter over the apples. Use the end of a spoon to poke and shift the apples slightly to help ease the batter into the gaps. The batter should be level with the apples.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 15 minutes before removing the ring and carefully inverting onto a wire rack. Remove the paper lining.
- Serve warm or cold, dusted with icing sugar and cinnamon, and with cream (if not dairy-free).