Apple and pear free-form tart
Make the most of the autumn harvest with this delicious apple and pear free-form tart recipe. Combining homemade pastry, tender fruit and sweet syrup, this tart is perfect served for dessert with ice cream
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 1 tbsp fine polenta
- 1/4 tsp sea salt flakes
- 125 g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp water
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 cups verjuice
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp rosemary leaves, chopped
- 50 g butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 500 g apples, peeled, cored, cut into wedges
- 500 g pears, peeled, cored, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180ºC. Lightly grease and line an oven tray.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, polenta and salt. Add butter and zest, pulsing until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add a little bit of water at a time, pulsing until mixture forms a ball.
- Knead gently on a lightly floured surface. Flatten into a disc. Wrap in cling film. Chill for 30 minutes.
- For the filling: In a medium pot, heat verjuice, sugar and rosemary on low, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and boil, without stirring, for 10 minutes until reduced by two-thirds. Strain into a bowl. Whisk in butter, one cube at a time. In a small saucepan, combine flours and cinnamon. Gradually whisk in water until smooth. Simmer on medium, whisking in syrup, vanilla and salt for 3 minutes. Chill for 30 minutes. In a bowl, toss fruit with 1/3 cup syrup. Reserve remaining syrup.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry out to 30cm circle. Transfer to tray. In a jug, whisk egg yolk and water together. Brush over pastry. Dust with almond meal, then spoon filling into centre, leaving a 4cm border. Fold pastry up and over filling, pleating roughly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry is golden. In a small bowl, whisk egg white and extra sugar together. Brush over pastry edges. Bake for 25-30 minutes until brown and crisp. Serve in wedges drizzled with syrup and ice cream.