Deliciously nutty and chocolatey, surprise your girlfriends with these glorious Afghan biscuits - it'll be hard to stop at one!
- 250 g butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 cups lightly crushed cornflakes
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- brazil nuts, chopped, to decorate
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C 9160° fan-forced). Lightly grease and line 2 baking trays.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Beat in vanilla.
- Sift flours and cocoa together. Fold into creamed mixture. Stir through cornflakes and coconut.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Arrange on prepared trays, leaving 4cm space between each biscuit. Flatten lightly with a fork. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool on trays and spread with icing once cool.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa together into a small bowl. Stir in butter and water, until icing is smooth and of spreadable consistency.
- Spread icing over cooled biscuits. Sprinkle with brazil nuts.