The secret to any good mason jar meal is to get the order right: wet stuff (dressings, sauces, dips and so forth) go in first, so they settle at the bottom. Then create layers with juicy vegetables (tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini), topping it all off with dry stuff, such as leafy greens, cheese, or crunchy corn chips. But don’t stop at lunch, enjoy all your meals from a mason jar; right from breakfast through to dessert. Okay, perhaps sit down to enjoy dinner on a plate, but if you want that from a jar, too, it’s a great way to serve pot pies, shepherd’s pies and crustless quiches.
- Chia pudding: Add some vanilla, maple syrup and a pinch of salt to a cup of coconut milk. Add three Tbsp of chia seeds and stir well. In five minutes, stir well again. Top with sliced mango and orange and refrigerate overnight for breakfast the next morning.
- Simple parfait: chop some seasonal fruit and layer a few times with some thick Greek yoghurt, top with toasted pistachio nuts.
- Quinoa salad: Green goddess dressing > Diced tomatoes > Diced cucumber > Cooked quinoa > Toasted walnuts and pumpkin seeds > Baby Spinach
- Zoodle lunch: Avocado dressing > Spiralised zucchini > Cooked barley > Blanched green beans > Creamy feta cheese
- Spicy noodles: Spicy red curry sauce > Cooked soba noodles > Chargrilled capsicum > Edamame > Grated radish > Crispy fried shallots
- Caprese salad: Olive oil and balsamic vinegar > Cherry tomatoes > Quinoa > Torn buffalo mozzarella > Rocket lettuce > Basil
- Snack time: Peanut butter > Sliced carrots, or celery or pretzel sticks